Friday, May 12, 2006

Go Ahead and Review My Phone Records

As reported in the Washington Post, the National Security Agency has been purchasing telephone call records (logs)as part of the war on terrorism.

Does this bother me? No. First, the records were purchased from the telephone companies. They were not acquired via spying. Second, I'm not a terrorist.

Privacy is a serious issue and I believe in protecting that right. However, the terrorist organizations that are targeting the United States are very sophisticated organizations with substantial financial and human resources, and most importantly, an undying motivation to cause us harm.

If review of our call logs will help in this battle, then I support it. I will also admit that I will complain loudly if I get wrongly subjected to federal investigation because of the examination of call records.

It's OK as long as it's the other guy.

No comments: