A smart move. Per the Wall Street Journal, Romney has 280 delegates and McCain has 843 delegates. Romney is asking his delegates to support McCain. This would bring McCain's count to 1123, 68 short of the nomination. What does this do and why?
1. McCain no longer has to worry about Huckabee. He no longer has to spend money fighting Huckabee.
2. It sends a strong message to the party - I, Mitt Romney, the most conservative candidate, endorse McCain - It's time for the rhetoric to stop.
3. The vice presidency is Mitt's, if he wants it.
4. The party owes Mitt a favor.
5. This move positions Mitt Romney in a strong position to run again in the future.